From: Franky Van Liedekerke [mailto:franky.van.liedekerke@pandora.be]
Sent: Tuesday, December 14, 1999 3:29 AM
To: apache-ssl@lists.aldigital.co.uk
Subject: [apache-ssl] Subject CN in certificate not server name!?

Hi,

I'm encountering this strange error in my ssl logfile:

[Tue Dec 14 05:34:01 1999] [error] OpenSSL: error:14094412:SSL
routines:SSL3_READ_BYTES:sslv3 alert bad certificate [Hint: Subject CN
in certificate not server name!?]

Now this is for a site private.xxxx.be, and apache is configured so
private.xxxx.be is a virtual host (with ServerName set to
private.advocaat.be).

When I read the certificate with the command:

/opt/openssl/bin/openssl x509 -noout -text -in xxxx.crt

I get:

        Subject: C=BE, ST=Brussel, L=Brussel, O=Vereniging van Vlaamse
Balies, OU=Vereniging van Vlaamse Balies,
CN=private.xxxx.be/Email=webmaster@xxxx.be

So I see here the CN is private.xxxx.be/Email=webmaster@xxxx.be.
Is this something corrupt in my server cert, or does anybody knows an
answer?

Franky